I do hope you'll visit my Fairfield blog. It's http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com.au
If you'd like to read about our first seven-month trip around Australia, take a peek at our travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com If you'd like to see my scrapbooking and card making experiments, then I'd love you to visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com To follow us on our shorter holidays, go to http://snippetsonthemove.blogspot.com.au Hope to see you there!

Thank you for visiting

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Going Away in May


Won't be at the Sydney Fair after all


Sadly, we aren't doing a big trip this year (again!) but we are going to a Church camp that starts around 3rd May near Coffs Harbour - 550kms north of Sydney. We'll take 2 days to get there since we're towing the caravan.

The camp goes till the 12th and is called the Grey Nomads camp because May is the time when all the 'grey nomads' and other tourists take off each year to travel north to the warmer parts. It's the end of the southern autumn and the beginning of the dry season in the tropics. Remember - for us 'down under' north is warm, south is cool or cold. In the tropics, there are two seasons: the southern summer is the 'wet season' in the tropics, the southern winter is the 'dry season' in the tropics.

And yes, it does get cold in our Australian winter, in the southern part. In fact, we have a thriving tourist industry in the alpine regions about 8 hours south of us, in New South Wales and Victorian snowfields. There are lots of ski fields and cross-country skiing is popular too.

And for those who love the wilderness there is tropical wilderness in the north of Australia or cool temperate wilderness in Tasmania. And of course we have desert - lots of desert vbg.
.
Getting back to the tropics though, May is the start of the tourist season. The roads north are passable again, and all the tourists are poised ready to set off to make the most of the dry season and the cooler weather - which to southerners is like our summer, often being in the 30's. So people from overseas (and there are many) who come over to travel during our summer because it's cheaper than heating their houses at home in Europe often stay for our cooler months too because then they can see the north of the country as well.

We met several families from Europe who are home-schooling their children as they take a year off to really see the country. And we also met a lot of Aussies who are doing the same - some of them have taken more than a year.

And then there are the grey nomads.

Crossing the Nullarbor Plain January 2010

And what is a 'grey nomad' you ask? That is the name given to all the retired (or not retired people but heading towards it) who are touring in their caravans or mobile homes, whether for a short time or full time.

We met a couple from Melbourne, Victoria, who had sold their house and had been travelling full time for five years - and hadn't left the eastern states yet! We met them in Queensland and they were about to cross into Northern Territory so I guess they had really seen a lot of Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.

Nathan is coming with us too, even though he is only 22 (23 by then) so scarcely a 'grey' nomad! But his big sister Kylie did find one grey hair on his head at Christmas time so I suppose that will have to do lol! He doesn't want to miss out on a holiday!

After the camp finishes we will continue to head north around1,000kms - destination not finally determined at the moment.

"It's getting a bit crowded up here!"

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Queensland Holiday 2008

We need to leave in time to return by 26th May because I am preaching then at a church that asks me to preach several times a year. I was asked to preach there on 7th April but since that is our 44th wedding anniversary Peter and I decided to decline that one! We will take a week or so for the trip home, only arriving on the Friday 25th.

So now I need to start planning the most important part: which minis will I take with me? Some needlework of course, and a project. More on this when I make up my mind. But since we'll all be in the van and I can't set up properly for minis until we stop wherever we stop at the other end, I probably won't take something that requires creative paperclay. So that rules out any Petite Properties kits and probably the TeaRose Too kit as well because that needs plastering.


And guess what - I've ordered the Petite Chateau from Suzanne and Andrew! I wrote to Suzanne about something else a
nd mentioned I wanted to buy it. She said not to leave it too long as it is due to be discontinued. I had some of my birthday and Christmas money left so I've ordered it - sooooo excited! It's a real departure from the styles I've done so far and its elegance really appeals to me. I also love the St Orleans style one but this won out.





Maybe that might be the project I take with me........



Or Redwood.........





Or Cedar Creek............






And of course I still have Karen Benson's Enchanted Toy Shoppe. I have the kit, the paint, one set of shelves (made up) and a whole lot of toys already made up and a few kits to add to the collection......




Or Debbie Young's Avalon............





Or her Trinity Circle............




Oh, I do love these wonderful 'dilemmas' :D! Of course, if I have done the preliminary work with the clay I could still take a Petite Properties kit with me to decorate inside and finish. Now that's a great idea! That's a really great idea!.........

post signature

19 comments:

  1. I have been looking at the Chateau over and over- I love the way it opens! I guess I'll have to make up my mind quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way it opens too Jennifer, and the colour scheme - and the elegance of it. Yes, make up your mind quickly - what fun it would be to both be doing it :)

      Delete
  2. I hope the weather turns more autumnal for you by May Sandie. We've been wet, wet, wet and humidity in the mid nineties for months and not over yet!!! Would love to meet up with you if you have time during Camp. You've been on my mind lately, funny how minds work ;) and now suddenly there's a chance we could meet in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I should have remembered that you are up that way! I'd love to meet in person, how exciting!!!! I don't have your address, it was on my other computer. Can you email me and we'll arrange to meet? Hugs, Sandie

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting on my Blog. I looked all around yours for an "e" address. Can't find it so Hello from here. :-)
    I AM starting to feel better, so trying to minis for at least a few minutes each day. My MOJO is returning.
    I've been sending positive vibes and prayers for your back. Hope you are getting better too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to hear that you are improving too, prayers and vibes for your good health as well. Great that your mojo is returning too. Hugs, Sandie

      Delete
  4. Hi Sandra, I wanted to leave comments for the longest time but couldn't seem to do so. So here I am trying again. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. Just to let you know I really enjoy reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased you enjoy reading them. I wonder why you couldn't leave comments? It's lovely that you could now. As you know, I love your food items, I've bought some from you - but I would love it if you did some in quarter scale :)
      Sandie

      Delete
  5. Sandra - good to hear that you will be up our way. Don't forget to call me during your stay in Coffs! I'll barge in and join Susan and yourself and we can really have a party!!
    Your trips sounds fab! Cheers - Lidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Lidi - Susan and I have made plans already to see you for a morning of mini chat and fun. We're looking forward to our trip - shame it's so short though.
      Hugs, Sandie

      Delete
  6. A pity you won't be going to the fair, but what a wonderful trip you all have to look forward to. If Nathan has any trouble fitting in with the 'grey' nomands a little talc rubbed in should do the trick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe - I'll remember that, though the rate he is losing his hair there won't be much to rub the talc into! I was really looking forward to seeing you at the Fair Norma, we'll have to get together after I come back. Hugs, Sandie

      Delete
  7. I bought it - the chateau . I so hope that you take it with you so I can build along( or at least drool over yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, you have a lot of beautiful houses to choose from :-) Your trip sounds wonderful Sandra, I bet you cannot wait to leave!

    Hugs Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy, you have a lot of beautiful houses to choose from Sandra. Your trip sounds wonderful, although it is not a long one (to me, three weeks sounds long) it is going to be great, for sure. Hugs Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I am beginning to be excited about it now, with it getting close. But after our lovely 7 month trip a couple of years ago, one month doesn't feel very long vbg. However I am grateful that we can have a holiday at all. Hugs, Sandie

      Delete
  10. Sandra, I know I'm a bit late here but is it possible you could tell me who made the redwood dollhouse? Is it a kit? I saw another artist make one up and it was gorgeous. Interesting front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kabrina, I've been trying unsuccessfully to contact you through Friend Connect - for some reason it won't let me, but that is a kit by Ann Bramlet. If you email me privately I can give you the contact address for inquiring about its availability. Ann doesn't deal directly, she does it through Patricia Morrison.

      Delete
  11. I tried finding he place to email you privately but have been unsuccessful. It may be because I am using my phi e at the moment but I will try again wih my laptop to see if that works better. I am interested in what she has to offer, her kits look really nice.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments. It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Popular Posts