Three trades in one day
Plastering, painting and bricking – that’s not bad, is it? Unfortunately it is in miniature and not real life or I would be really good at DIY lol!
I wasn’t all that pleased with the finish of the plaster – it was too smooth for my liking. So I redid it today with another layer, and made it a lot rougher, both inside and out. I’m much happier with it now.
While I was thinking about the paints for weathering, I went ahead with the chimney, even though this step was supposed to be done after the painting part. Peter cut me a board and two strips 1/’8” thick ply so I could roll the Paperclay evenly the right thickness for the chimney. I covered the board with plastic wrap taped tightly down to protect the clay. It will come in for lots of use from now on, I have a lot of Creative Paperclay in my future. It's really nice stuff to handle and it covered the chimney quite well. I had an old credit card that I cut up to use for marking the lines of bricks. One part has an end just 1/8” wide for the height of the bricks, and another part I used for the horizontal lines. And another part has a right angle which is handy for making sure those corner lines go evenly round in narrow places. I should have used the index card provided though because the lines are a bit too deep.
It didn’t take too long to glue the Paperclay on to the wooden chimney but obviously marking the bricks was a lengthy process. Then while the lower chimney was drying for the first hour I did the upper chimney, going through the same process, and put a ‘donut’ on the top after marking the bricks on that part. Here's a photo before I did the next step.
By then the lower chimney had been drying for an hour so as instructed I went over it with a toothpick that has had the point rounded off with sandpaper, to clean out the grooves a bit more and define the bricks more clearly. This really did take a long time, because I shaped each brick individually, rounding corners and giving the bricks an individual, hand-made look. On some of them I dug out a corner or piece of the brick, or made a ‘crack’ in them. I’m really pleased with the result too.
Then I could permanently attach the rear wing roof and roof extension. The roof extensions are to give the roof a really curved shape, as though it is sagging with age. Here is the rear wing roof still taped into position while it dries and the first floor just sitting in place ready to be glued. Even though I have lightened the wash inside here, it still came out far too dark in the photo.
When I did glue in the first floor, I added a little strip of wood to cover the bit of wall that was left bare. And I also went over the rest of the interior patching up some other little bits that needed a bit of tidying up, such as a slight mark that showed where the floor joined the wall and such.
And now I will leave the Paperclay to dry thoroughly. I have already damaged it several times while fiddling with other parts of the cottage, forgetting and putting my hand on it accidently or leaning the chimney on something while I worked on the rear section. So I have put it aside and left it in peace now.
I spent the rest of the evening painting the shingle strips that I have snipped already, and trying out different arrangement of the base pieces to try and decide whether I will use them as in the model or differently.
And that was as far as I could go today – what a good day’s work it was too.
And below is another picture of the cottage front, slightly side view.
This is adorable. I love this cottage. Thanks for sharring your process. Mary Corbet had an article on minitures today that you might be interested in reading. Made me want to pull out the silk gauze!!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.needlenthread.com/
Thanks for your comment Kelly, and for the link -I am actually a member of Petitpointers, mentioned in the article, and have the casket to do as well,we are doing it as a group project. But I am a bit chicken, am only going to use 72 for the drawers and go with 60hpi for the outside. If I'm not using my maglight I can't even see the holes in the 72hpi lol!
ReplyDelete