As I come to each room I think 'This is my favourite room so far'! Each one is just so delightful and such fun to do. The Chinoiserie Salon is no exception. During the 16th and 17th centuries it became very fashionable to have rooms with furniture and ornaments from China and Japan, and papers framed on the walls also from the Orient. It was called Chinoiserie, the French word for Chinese.
Hungerford Manor has a Chinoiserie Salon next to the Marble Hall. Here are the walls with all the trim attached, before it was painted.
Isn't the detail lovely? So intricate. For this room all the trim was glued on before painting. Then everything was painted with Ceramcoat Ivory and the raised trim was highlighted with a gold felt pen.
And here it is when that was done and the painted paper panels were attached, then the room was assembled:
 |
| Overview of completed room |
 |
| Right wall, with door leading to Marble Hall |
 |
| Rear Wall |
 |
| Left Wall, with door leading to West Wing |
 |
| Showing ceiling |
Isn't a lovely room? It is a shame to cover those pretty panels with the furniture - especially the central one with the Chinese Display Cabinet that goes there. I have finished all the furniture but am not happy with the colour of the finish on it so am sanding it back and re-doing it all. I will post photos of all the rooms with their furniture when I have upholstered the chairs for them. I am waiting for the fabric for some of them to arrive so it will be a while before I can do it.
I have also been working on the Music Room and will hopefully have the photos of that posted tomorrow.
This looks like such a fun project, Sandra! It makes me want to buy all the kits for myself! (Not that I don't already have plenty of projects under way! LOL!) My Tree House project is 1:48 scale... but so far I have been building it all from scratch! I just LOVE the tiny scale pieces and I really look forward to seeing the furniture you are talking about!
ReplyDeleteIt is a great project for sure. By the time you have finished your Tree House you would be able to get the rooms you wanted in the catch-up month next April if you decided to go ahead with the manor house. I agree that the tiny scale pieces are lovely - fiddly, but with the help of a nice sharp pair of tweezers they are fun.
DeleteWow, it is so detailed. I didnt think it would look so intricate. I agree, it does look like a fun project :)
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying each room, and look forward to the next one each month because every one impresses me with the thought and detail that Gayle has put into designing it. I'm so pleased that you like this one, thanks for commenting.
DeleteI LoooooOOooooove your Hungerford rooms so far! Love how you are showing them to us - how high are the ceilings? They look wonderfully high. Can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteG'day, I'm glad you like the rooms too - I really must get into blogging about the rest of the ground floor rooms I have partially done as well. The ceilings are nearly 4" high, which certainly is lovely and tall. Compare them to the Bella Rustica ceilings for example, which are around 2 1/2" high. But then it is a grand house so one would expect nice high ceilings. The first floor rooms might not be so tall, that was how it usually worked in real life.
DeleteYour gold trim work looks great - was it a standard metallic marker? You have a steady hand!!
ReplyDeleteYes it was a standard gold metallic marker, though I found that different brands have slightly different golds. My hand is certainly not very steady, but I found that by only doing the top of the raised portions and not trying to do the sides I avoided (most) of the over-runs onto unwanted surfaces. I think if I remember that I used the pen sideways, holding the walls slightly at an angle too, so that I only caught the raised surfaces with the ink, then going over the parts that needed it in the normal way. I do remember my heart was in my mouth the whole time and I had a few areas that needed touching up with the Ivory paint.
Delete