I do hope you'll visit my Fairfield blog. It's http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com.au
If you'd like to read about our first seven-month trip around Australia, take a peek at our travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com If you'd like to see my scrapbooking and card making experiments, then I'd love you to visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com To follow us on our shorter holidays, go to http://snippetsonthemove.blogspot.com.au Hope to see you there!

Thank you for visiting

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mini marathon progress - Privet House

I've realized that I haven't given you an update on the mini marathon for a while.  I now have several cottages completed so today I will show you Privet House.  As always this house is just sooooo much nicer in reality than it is in photos, and I was delighted with it as it took shape.  The colours in the photos are a bit off, the green is more of a hunter green and the distressing on the house isn't as obvious as it looks in the pictures.

 Here is a front view.  Looks a bit stark at the moment - I haven't decided what to do about that.   A vine?  A tree nearby?  Flowers?

 A view from the left side
And one from the right
I put stairs into the house, just on the ground floor for now, and will later put them on the first floor too.  They are the 'Cottage Stairs' kit from Petite Properties.

I made a faux cupboard under the stairs.  I think now that it probably could have had a straight top but I built it to follow the line of the stairs.

I googled for some 1930's wallpaper and linoleum and liked this green and cream one for the kitchen.  It goes really well with the green and cream of the house.  As you can see, I haven't put the lights in yet so haven't glued the upper story floorboards in.
Privet House has an attic too but I'm not sure whether I will use it as rooms or whether to just put the wiring and battery up there.

So that's the second of the mini marathon houses.  What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra! I think that this house has a lot of history to it because of the wonderful aging that you have added. The colors that you have chosen for the exterior are Vintage to the max and the lino that you are installing will be an appropriate transition from the inside, out. I also love the little staircase, and the angled closet under them is something that I am very familiar with. It is a great way to give the illusion of more space even if the door never opens. All in all, this little property is Charming from the bottom of the foundation, to the top of its chimney pots!
    And I would agree with you about adding a bit of garden.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I thought that the green and cream were great vintage colours too. And I was delighted to find that lino patters because it unified the exterior colours with the interior. I always like the interior to be in harmony with the exterior colours so I think carefully about the outside colour scheme. I'm so pleased that you like it too. As I said in the post, the ageing isn't as pronounced in RL as it is in the photos, just enough that the house isn't 'pristine'. I will have a think about what to do for the garden.

      Delete
  2. Una casa fantástica, me encanta el color que le has puesto. Tiene un toque antiguo muy logrado. El suelo verde que has colocado es precioso, felicidades por este trabajo, estaré pendiente a tus avances:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments too. I'm pleased that the colours have come out so well - I wish they showed in the photos as nice as they are in reality. So pleased too that this house appeals to you as well.

      Delete
  3. A stunning house. I love the colors and you made a very good find with the flooring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how fortunate I was with the flooring. It was a tiny square in a sample catalogue when I googled 1930's linoleum images. I copied the photo, put it into a Word doc and kept repeating it, overlapping to make the design match. I was really pleased with how it turned out - the colours are perfect for the exterior colours of the house :) Hugs, Sandie

      Delete

I really appreciate comments. It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Popular Posts