Our family has increased by three more. We are now owned by four gorgeous cats: Max, who we got in June and who turned one year old in December, and three babies from Max's parents in the next litter. Here they are
On the left in this photo is Sapphire, named by our neighbour (the parent cats belong to her) because of her vivid blue eyes when she was littler. Of course they aren't blue now, they are turning green because the kittens are 8 weeks old. On the right is Sophie. We can tell Sophie and Sapphire apart because Sapphire has a black smudge beside her nose, Sophie has a pale ginger smudge beside hers. Sapphire also has a white patch on her back and her colouring is a little more muted than Sophie's.
And here is Sam. He is a lovely cream colour with the faintest of ginger tabby markings, and light ginger tips on his ears. Curiously, he still has blue eyes. His colouring is deepening a bit as he gets older, at first he was whiter than he is now and I worried at first that he might be deaf as some white cats with blue eyes are. But he's not deaf, that's for sure. Because he has the genes for colour he escapes that. He is the most laid-back of the three.
Sam is the friendliest of the three, and Sapphire is almost as friendly. Sophie is coming around now that we've had them for a week, and they all have got to the stage where they enjoy - and ask for - pats and stroking. They even enjoy being cuddled now whereas they didn't like being held at first.
Over the last few days all three of them have learned to climb the cat tree, and Sam has even made it up to the top level. It's six foot high and it took them a while before they could manage it. Because we want the cats to stay indoors for a couple of months, and to come inside at night, we have provided them with plenty of toys and I have also ordered another climbing tree for them.
After Chloe, our gorgeous tortie who was Max's sister disappeared, Max fretted for her for some time. He and his other sister Cindy used to play together all the time, even before Chloe disappeared, and then Cindy disappeared too. Max and his brother Cuddly, who is a pale ginger fluffy cat are great friends now and Cuddly likes to come into our house and steal two toys that he really likes. He takes them to his house next door and our neighbours find them and return them. We think that Chloe was stolen by someone who really likes tortoiseshell cats. And that when they discovered that she had been desexed, they came back for Cindy. So I am concerned about the welfare of our two new girls too. The kittens might end up being kept totally indoors though I hate to think of them not being able to enjoy the back yard and garden.
At first Max was totally affronted to find the kittens had taken up residence and he sulked for a couple of days. He had visited them often when he went next door, but having them invade his own territory was different. Then eventually he started playing with them and now he greets them nose-to-nose and grooms them. All four of them bounce madly around the house chasing each other and having great fun.
He still likes to sit on me for a cuddle morning and evening as this very unflattering photo of us shows. Max doesn't sit on my knee, he likes to lie on my arm and nuzzle into my shoulder. He was distracted by the camera here so moved his head.
But he won't sit on me if one of the kittens is on me too.
The kittens also seem to think that as soon as I turn on my laptop it is the signal for them to come and sit on the keyboard. I have to fight to keep them off so that I can type, though I can still play my solitaire with them on it - until they move and press different keys, with interesting results :) I must say that having the three of them adds a lot of fun to our lives.
| What do you mean, you want to play solitaire? |
So, being a mad cat lady, I finally have the four cats again that I wanted. The last time we had four was many years ago. I am very happy. It's a shame that cats calm down as they get older, they provide a lot of pleasure witht heir antics. Mind you, I'm glad that I haven't replaced my curtains (I have the fabric ready to make new ones) or bought our new lounge suite yet ;)
Hello Sandie, I'm glad to hear that you're much better after your hospital visits. Congratulations on the new family members, they are so sweet. We don't let our cats out to wander,they can access a cage under the back patio from the laundry and climb up to a tunnel that takes them out to a larger cage in the garden so they can enjoy the outside without the risk to birds or them running away.I smiled when you mentioned your curtains. I saw a photo of a cat dressed in shirt,tie and glasses and the caption said "Jeeves, lay out my best curtains, I wish to go climbing"
ReplyDeleteKeep well,
Vicki x
Hi Vicki, I am glad to that I'm much better after the ops, though I am still very tired and need a lot of sleep. apparently at my age two anaesthetics take a bit out of you ;) The worst part of the second op was waiting for the patient transport ambulance to take me back to the first hospital afterwards - they took ages. I left the first hospital at 8am and came back at 7.30pm so it was a long day.
DeleteI am considering doing a cat run in the backyard for the cats too but am unsure of how they will adapt. They ran free before we got them and were never allowed inside. I laughed at your description of the cat photo - how typical lol.
Blessings
Sandie
Hi Sandra! I am so glad to hear that you are on the mend and that now you have lots of company too! :D Your new family area Adorable! Seeing your cat sprawled across the keyboard is too funny! Why do they always like to do that AND try to squeeze themselves into a doll's house? :D
ReplyDeleteelizabeth
Ours haven't tried the dollhouse bit yet but I'm sure they will soon - we are keeping them out of the room where I have my big ones at the moment. I think they like watching the movement on the screen. They also seem to like the warmth of the keyboard - though why in this heat I can't imagine lol!
Deletesorry to hear you have been poorly,glad you are on the mend, I would love a kitten,but with 3 dogs I do not think they would like it, have lots of fun with yours x
ReplyDeleteHi Debbie, we certainly are having fun with our gorgeous babies. We are both more 'cat people' than 'dog people' but I do want a little white fluffy one when I don't tour by caravan any more ;)
DeleteSuch sweeties! I'm sure they'll help you get well much faster. Best wishes ~Josje~
ReplyDeleteThanks Josje, I'm sure they will too. At least they are wonderful company while I have lost my mini mojo at the moment :)
DeleteHi Sandra,
ReplyDeletekittens are just sweet! their games are probably very funny :-)
hugs
Magda
Hi Magda, thanks for your comment. The babies certainly are really sweet and keep us well amused. We love them heaps already.
DeleteCongratulations! They're so cute and lucky.
ReplyDeleteThanks Faby - they are certainly cute, and lots of fun too. They are growing so fast - they have become nearly a third bigger than they were when we got them two weeks ago.
DeleteGlad to read the ops are behind you now and have gone well, hope your on the mend. I am sure your gorgeous new family members are keeping you well entertained! It's been a long time since I've had kittens around here but can remember the mischief well and the cuddles too. They are all gorgeous especially the ginger toms as I have a soft spot for the ginger cats. Enjoy them. Ali x
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment Ali. I have a soft spot for ginger cats too, plus torties. My first cat was a tortie and I've had a couple of them since, plus a couple of gingers. The interesting thing is that our cats' mother is ginger and so is their father.
DeleteWe certainly are having fun with Max who has re-discovered his kittenhood as well as the new kittens.
Dear Sandra,
ReplyDeleteSorry to learn about your health troubles and relieved that you feel better now.
The kittens are adorable. May them bring you joy.
Best wishes and hugs,
Drora
Thanks for your comment Drora. I feel pretty good now but am having trouble getting motivated to get back to doing any minis. But the babies are such fun and are becoming more and more affectionate.
Delete