I do hope you'll visit my Fairfield blog. It's http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com.au
If you'd like to read about our first seven-month trip around Australia, take a peek at our travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com If you'd like to see my scrapbooking and card making experiments, then I'd love you to visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com To follow us on our shorter holidays, go to http://snippetsonthemove.blogspot.com.au Hope to see you there!

Thank you for visiting

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Nearly finished....

Well, except for a lot of touching up and a couple of areas that I am very unhappy with.  I have spent whatever time I could squeeze into the studio over the last few days doing fiddly things and today I was able to put the last parts together.

However I am not happy with quite a few bits - the doors look messy, the roofing material on the larger dormer moved after I glued it on and I didn't realize until everything was dry.  And I messed up the wing roof sections by trimming what I thought was extra bits, only to find that they were then too small :(  I was able to cover up that mistake to some extent by putting in a strip of paper into the grooves where the roofs met, and painting them to match the roof - like flashing.  On the opening to the rear wing roof I had to cut away some more of the wood because the flashing solution wouldn't have worked there.

When I look at it closely I see so many areas that I'm not happy with, but they'll have to do.  And that's not like me at all.  However there's no way I can fix them so I'll just hope they aren't as glaringly obvious to others as they are to me.

Anyway, here are some photos of it now.
I love this view, it shows the windows in the side as well as both doors.

Front door still needs the shop sign and the 'open' sign attached

Rear view of the wing.  Love the door and balcony on the side of the main section

Rear view of main section.  The shop door wouldn't stay closed so it will stay open a little bit
The colours in the photos are a bit light.  In real life the blue is a bit darker but with the light on in the room and the flash working, it came out pale.  I will need to go over everything really carefully and touch up areas where the paint has had other colours go over it.  Today I decided I didn't like the colour of the roof and mixed another grey for that, and repainted it.  So that will probably need touching up and then distressing with lighter and darker colours.   Also, I need to paint the edges of the walls and touch up around the dormer windows where they attach to the house.

Those things are all very fiddly and will be time-consuming but they are necessary.  However at least while waiting for paint to dry I can start on the furniture kits.  I just love this little house!  I'm disappointed it wasn't my best work by far but when all the furniture and accessories are in it, they will distract the eye from its faults.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sandra!
    Probably one of the most irritating things about this hobby, other than waiting for merchandise to arrive in the mail, is when we feel that we have let ourselves down with the mistakes which we've accidentally make on our various miniature projects. I also make it a habit to flog myself for my errors even when others don't, so I can fully appreciate your personal frustrations regarding the flaws which you've outlined in BELLA RUSTICA- and yet they remain totally unseen in the photos!
    Because what I see is a DELIGHTFUL little structure with an Amazing looking roof, an aged facade loaded with interesting architectural details resulting in a historic village building full of rustic french charm-
    and who could ask for anything MORE?

    Beautiful Work Sandra :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth :) Unfortunately the errors are very much evident to the naked eye even though not in the photos but I hope that by filling the rooms with the lovely furnishings and accessories most of them will be less obvious. Unfortunately there's nothing much that I can think of doing about the little window roof, but it's good that it is in a position that isn't immediately obvious. This certainly is a delightful little project, and I am trying to fight against my perfectionism and just leave things be and get on with the rest of it - but it certainly goes against the grain.

      Delete

I really appreciate comments. It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Popular Posts