I do hope you'll visit my Fairfield blog. It's http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com.au
If you'd like to read about our first seven-month trip around Australia, take a peek at our travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com If you'd like to see my scrapbooking and card making experiments, then I'd love you to visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com To follow us on our shorter holidays, go to http://snippetsonthemove.blogspot.com.au Hope to see you there!

Thank you for visiting

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Quarter Scale Shop Roombox

Petite Properties Shop

Petite Properties have released a shop roombox in quarter scale that just requires painting and glueing.  A couple of weeks after mine arrived I couldn’t leave it any longer and gave myself a treat by assembling it. It would have been my Dad’s birthday and so I felt I deserved a little spoiling.


The brickwork on the front pieces is pre-cut and it came up beautifully when sponged with terra cotta paint. I also went over it with some dark brown and a bit of lighter brown and the results were excellent.

Front walls and side walls of entry
Bea’s instructions then said to put the precut card pieces over the brickwork and paint them later. I didn’t trust my fine motor skills sufficiently to think I could do that around the brickwork without getting paint onto it, so I pre-painted the edges of the card. When the various layers were put together and painted a cream colour I decided I didn’t like that colour after all. So all my pre-painting was in vain because I re-painted it in bisque with some cream in it anyway. And yes, I did get some on the brickwork and it was a right pain to remove it.


Pieces painted cream, door made


I did the inside with a cream paint as well at first, and papered the floor. Then when I decided that I didn’t like the cream I had used I repainted the interior as well – and of course had trouble with that as well because I had already papered the floor!


Wanting a bit of interest on the exterior walls, I mixed talcum powder with the paint to give it some texture and painted that on then dabbed it with the points of a stiff bristle paintbrush. After that it had a nice finish. The roof is flat and I just painted it the same colour.


Exterior walls textured,exterior and  interior walls cream, floor painted.
I mixed a bit of cream with the colour I did the outside and used that to highlight the trim pieces, then ‘aged’ the whole exterior, just by using a bit of dark brown on a sponge – making sure that I wiped most of the paint off the sponge first, so that it was almost dry.




Repainted bisque, with bisque mixed with cream to highlight
And there it is! Just a bit under 4” wide and even less deep, so it won’t hold a great deal even in quarter scale.





And again, with the front removed.



And finally, just to give you even more of an idea of its size, here it is with a paint container and a fine-tipped glue bottle for comparison.



t took me a while to try and decide what type of shop I would make it but something on the television yesterday morning made me decide that perhaps a chocolatier would be a good idea. It’s worth considering anyway.....




2 comments:

  1. 1/48 certainly is your thing Sandra! Not mine, as you may have read:-) Well, I am going to make up some more furniture kits for Flowerpot cottage,so that it will look a bit nice, but I am happy that my next project will be halfscale - hoping I can handle that.
    Cheers,
    Elly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elly your Flowerpot Cottage came out beautifully! I'm looking forward to seeing the furniture in place, and hoping you become more comfortable with this scale :-) It's not really that scary once you are used to it - really, truly, cross my heart vbg!
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments. It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Popular Posts