I do hope you'll visit my Fairfield blog. It's http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com.au
If you'd like to read about our first seven-month trip around Australia, take a peek at our travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com If you'd like to see my scrapbooking and card making experiments, then I'd love you to visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com To follow us on our shorter holidays, go to http://snippetsonthemove.blogspot.com.au Hope to see you there!

Thank you for visiting

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bundy Mini Break comes to an end - and after my return home....

An end to my Mini Break .......

Unfotunately Day 10 was an early start for the drive to Hervey Bay to catch the plane home to Sydney.  Bundaberg does have an airport but it doesn't take the large jets, so to fly direct there costs three times as much.  Jan was generous and offered to collect me from Hervey Bay and also drive me back there for the return flight.

a mini disaster.......

You will have noticed a distinct lack of photos of the lovely Tuscan Villa lately.  Well, unfortunately there was a construction disaster with the roof.  Jan has been waiting for some replacement tiles to arrive, and they haven't as yet so things have ground to a standstill.  .  To further compound the situation the furniture kits that Jan has ordered haven't arrived either because poor Karen Carey is very ill.  So the whole project  has been put aside until such time as everything arrives, which is unlikely to be in time for everything to be done in time for the Fair.  That is just 4 weeks away now, so Jan is going to finish off a project that she has been working on and display that instead.  Of course she is very disappointed not to be able to continue with the Villa but philosophical too.  And I was keen for her to exhibit Sea Cliff anyway, so I am pleased about that aspect of it all.

& a change of name for the cottage .......

I don't know why but my feet and ankles swelled terribly on the flight home, and were very painful indeed.  Note to self: do not ever take only brand new, unbroken-in sandals away next time I go away.  My left ear also blocked totally with the change in pressure and won't unblock, even a full week later.  Go figure. 

So I haven't been feeling wonderful.  And I've been spending time making flowers for the garden around the cottage.  I remembered all too well the patience required to make clematis vines - and the experience of making another one over a good three days has shown me that my recollection is quite accurate. I think I have used a full sheet of flowers and another of leaves to make this climbing vine.  That's probably equivalent to two kits.

 I changed the garden arch to a wider one, but made the mistake of leaving it the brown colour instead of painting it white or pale green.  The white flowers at the base do brighten it up a bit but unfortunately the lovely bright clematis flowers don't show to their best advantage on the brown.  And there is no way at all that I am even considering removing the stems to re-paint the arch, even if I could - which I doubt.

As for the change of name, it could hardly continue to be called 'The English Cottage', could it?  So Miss Emmaline and I put our heads together and decided that since the garden will feature lots of hollyhocks (which I've also been making, samples below) - that would be a perfect name: Hollyhock Cottage.
Of course these are just the first of several that will be in the garden - when I became tired of gluing tiny little clematis leaves (around 1/16" )  onto the stems I changed to doing some of the hollyhocks.  I am still waiting for my flower kits to arrive; I ordered a whole pile more of them about 2 weeks before I left for Bundaberg and they still haven't arrived, which is most unusual.   And I know Susan posted them the day after I ordered them, so there is something strange going on with the mail from the US.

Now if only I could find the shutters for the cottage I could make them up and attach them and get on with the window boxes and climbing vines!  I was sure that I had packed them in the kit, along with the quilling paper strips for the skirting boards (baseboards) - but neither were there when I arrived and I have been unable to locate them since I've been home.  When I took things out to check the kit before I left (I had planned to do the plastic with primer but ran out of time) they must have been left out.  Very careless of me.

Now I need to make lots more flowers from kits  for the garden at the front and the side with the birdhouse..  For the other  sides I will probably use landscaping shrubbery and floral foam,but the cottage cannot be attached to the base properly until my LED lights arrive and the wiring is completed.  Hopefully it will be in time for the Fair - or else I will have to fudge by adding greenery  to cover the join and leave the cottage loose.

And of course there are all those extras still to add to the interior.  That is always enjoyable.  Hope you noticed the book on the tray - it is a scanned copy of the one I am reading at the moment.  And I have the pictures selected to hang on the wall.  I'm looking for some ornaments, and waiting for some oddments to arrive in the post.

So as usual - keep posted.......

3 comments:

  1. What a pity, your friend won't be able to finish her project in time but I am sure her other project will look good too, I am sure. I like you climbing vine (will I ever be able to make quarter scale flowers - I think not) and the hollyhock plus new name of your cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hollyhock Cottage sounds just perfect :)

    Well, the holiday ending wasn't so good was it. Could have been worse re the shoes, you could have taken them off mid flight like I (stupidly) did once - size 'huge' feet do not go into size 8 shoes! Hope the ear situation settles very soon.

    I may have asked you this before - are you planning on going to the Homebush fair at the end of the month? I don't know yet whether I'll be there on Sat or Sun. If you're going and would like to meet up email me at normabennett@hotmail.com and maybe we can co-ordinate visits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both it is so nice to have your comments. Chris, do try qs flowers, they take time but tend to 'grow' on you (sorry!) - just don't start on the clematis for your first one lol!

    Norma, I was tempted believe me to take off the shoes but knew I'd never get them on again! Yes I'll be at the Fair on Sunday, Jan will be there on both days - I'll email you. Would love to meet up!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate comments. It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Popular Posts