I do hope you'll visit my Fairfield blog. It's http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com.au
If you'd like to read about our first seven-month trip around Australia, take a peek at our travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com If you'd like to see my scrapbooking and card making experiments, then I'd love you to visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com To follow us on our shorter holidays, go to http://snippetsonthemove.blogspot.com.au Hope to see you there!

Thank you for visiting

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thursday 18th February 2010

Really looking forward to painting the tree trunk. I could have pushed things today and done it but wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and left it to enjoy another 24hours’ sunlight and opportunity to dry a bit more thoroughly.

And today was another day of trying new things. I finally braved the challenge of using Shellac for the first time. I was able to use some methylated spirit that my brother had in his garage – handy things, brothers. Fortunately I had been able to retrieve my Shellac flakes from home so had them on hand.

It wasn’t at all difficult to use and I love the results. It’s a lovely thin coat which being metho-based dries really quickly. Perfect for miniatures. So all of the furniture kits have been given two coats of Shellac, the ‘beams’ for the ceiling, the mantle and hearth for the fireplace have been done as well.

After the mantle and the hearth were dry I glued it all together so the fireplace is finished now and ready to go in place.

Note to self: when you ask for help cutting the beams for the ceiling to the correct length (because my back was too sore to be able to use that pressure) – do not ask someone who has just worked two 10-hour night duties to help or you’ll end up with them being the wrong length. Never mind. I’m more conscious of other faults with them than with that ;-) But at least they are glued in and look fine. .

Sadly, I rather doubt I’ll get a chance to paint the tree trunk until Sunday evening. I have to be at an appointment by 7am tomorrow, and then it is full on all day, culminating in the arrival of Cameron and Luke for us to babysit on Friday night. Kylie will come down on Saturday afternoon and they’ll all stay until Sunday afternoon. We love having them close enough to visit – sure beats a 14 hour drive to Toowoomba!

Getting there now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments. It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Popular Posts